The Variety Motor Mouth Camp, is a four day, three night program for school aged children who cannot speak and rely on augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) aids to express themselves. Combining fun, therapy and training for children, parents, siblings and carers, Campers receive support from volunteer speech, occupational and physio therapists – opening up a whole new world of communication and much needed support.
The Camp is a fantastic opportunity for children using AAC to get to know other children in the same situation, share experiences and make new friends. The primary aim of the camp is for children using AAC to improve their system use and become more competent communicators in a fun and relaxing environment. We hope that this camp will be the first step in starting to develop a stronger community of AAC users in WA!
Motor Mouth Camp is held at Point Walter in Bicton, this year from 8th – 11th October. Families stay overnight for the duration of the camp, and have their own room and bathroom provided.
The Variety Motor Mouth Camp is open to children who:
- are of school age;
- use a high technology augmentative communication system, such as a Vantage Lite , Dynavox, Accent, Nova Chat, LR7, Tobii, iPad with Proloquo2Go or Touch Chat etc to express a range of language functions;
- have at least one family member who will be attending the camp with them and is willing to participate in all camp activities;
- want to improve the use of their device and their general communication competency;
- are able to work in small groups in a busy sensory environment;
- have a primary therapist that can be contacted by the Variety Motor Mouth Committee to support their application and discuss suitability (the primary therapist is not required to attend camp, but is most welcome to attend as a volunteer).
Applications close on 3rd May 2015. Please apply through the Variety website https://www.variety.org.au/WA/How-we-help-/Variety–work/Variety-Motor-Mouth-Camp/