What are mobility scooters?
If you notice that you can walk short distances but struggle to walk any further, a mobility scooter may be able to help. Mobility scooters in Perth are available in a diverse range of shapes and sizes and have a range of features to suit individual needs, including for people who may be elderly or living with a disability. At ILC, we can advise you on the best scooter for your needs.
Things to consider:
There are many aspects to consider when choosing the right mobility scooter for you which will determine the level of freedom, comfort and movement you will have. Some of these considerations include:
- Number of wheels: three wheels may allow you to have more movement for confined spaces, however four wheels are generally more stable on uneven surfaces.
- Seat: choose the right seating material for your comfort. Most scooters will allow you to adjust the seating arrangement to suit you.
- Frame: consider whether you will need to transport your scooter in another vehicle. Some scooters can be taken apart while others may require a trailer, carrier, ramp or lifter in order to be transported.
- Ignition: standard keys or jack plugs are used for most scooters.
- Controls: if you have a disability or can only use one hand/fingers, there are some mobility scooters in Perth which can cater to this.
- Safety features: to ensure the safety of yourself and those around you, most scooters should be fitted with indicators, a headlight and a horn.
- Other accessories: Other accessories can include anti-tip wheels, low battery lights, automatic speed reduction in reverse, reversing beepers and self-checking electronics. Your scooter can also be fitted with adjusted levers, canopy covers, rear view mirrors, oxygen carriers, shopping baskets, walking frames and safety flags.
Please remember, when operating a mobility scooter, it is essential that safety comes first. Choose an appropriate speed, be mindful of carrying extra weight and remember to look and listen for pedestrians and other footpath users.
Mobility scooters are not suitable for everyone and you may be recommended to have an assessment to determine the right one for you to ensure the safety of yourself and others.
The possibilities are endless!
Choosing the right mobility scooter for your needs can be a difficult task, especially if this is your first time purchasing one. At ILC, we can help you find the perfect mobility scooter in Perth for your needs, whether you’re wanting one for home or for outdoor travel. To find out more about scooters and mobility aids, please contact our friendly team today!