The Independent Living Centre will be heading for Kalgoorlie in the Goldfields later in the year and will be bringing with us hundreds of pieces of equipment, from long handled reachers, to magnifiers, to gardening equipment; and of course our friendly and supportive staff.
We are seeking expressions of interest from anyone who feels they would like some information and advice about assistive equipment (members of the community, parents, groups, therapists, care staff, carers, and teachers). The trip is tentatively set for around the end of October 2017, so if you are interested, make sure you contact the ILC WA Country Services Team on 1300 885 886 or email email@example.com if you would like to arrange a visit. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Some examples of what we have done in our previous trips:
- Meeting with parents group for children with disabilities to discuss the Noah’s Ark Toy Library and other services
- Presentations to seniors groups regarding everyday assistive equipment (easy-to-tip kettles, dressing aids, large print playing cards, calendar clocks), and funding options
- Appointments with therapists from the local hospital at the homes of persons with a disability to trial paediatric standers, hoists, wheelchairs, etc.
- Appointment with support staff for trials of medication management devices.
- Display van setups outside the local Men’s shed, and CRCCs.
Our caravan has hundreds of pieces of equipment that you are welcome to trial, and if there is something in particular you have seen on the National Equipment Database, that you want to have a go with, we may be able to get a sample to bring with us as well. Please note – we don’t sell any equipment; in this way we remain a non-biased service whose primary aim is to help you decide what equipment will be most beneficial.
With our 4-wheel-drive vehicle, trailer and caravan filled with equipment, we can offer a range of services:
Caravan / Trailer / Table displays with hundreds of products to make life easier. Professional advice from a therapist is available. Please note: no equipment is available for purchase from the displays
Talks to Community Groups
Such as senior’s groups, Lion’s Clubs, Bowling Clubs, Carer’s Groups, HACC groups
Training / Workshops for Health Professionals / Support Staff / Education Staff.
Formal presentations, informal updates or training on specific topics
A time may be pre-booked with the therapist to discuss an individual’s needs and to ensure suitable equipment is brought for them to view / trial