Below is a range of resources to help individuals, carers and organisations with information on assistive equipment.
Sometimes it can be confusing to know what assistive technology or equipment would be most suitable for your situation. To help guide you through your decision making process, we have developed a collection of over 30 help sheets, covering a diverse range of topics from gardening and footwear to computers. The most commonly sought after topics include manual wheelchairs and scooters found in the Mobility and Transport section, or personal alarms and phones for safety found in the Technology and Communication section.
Help sheets are available in the following languages; Arabic, Bosnian, Chinese, Croatian, Greek, Italian, Macedonian, Polish, Serbian, Spanish and Vietnamese. To view the Help Sheets in these languages click here
Other documents and resources
- Travel Safe Resources – The following resources have been developed by the WA Travel Safe Interagency Working Party in 2016. They are designed to bring together the relevant legislation and standards to assist health professionals with the Vehicle Modification Process and provide some streamlined guidelines around the Safe Transportation of Wheelchairs in a Vehicle to the sector. Health Professionals are encouraged to utilise these resources in conjunction with the relevant funding requirements and criteria. OTPT Vehicle modification process
- Selecting a child car restraint (car seat) for a child with special needs can be challenging. The ILC has identified these challenges and aims to make the processes easier for parents and therapists. Click here for more information.
- Making Choices, Finding solutions – A guide to assistive equipment and home modifications: This guide provides practical information about basic assistive equipment and simple strategies to common frustrations that may act as a barrier to safety and independence in the home and community. Making Choices, Finding Solutions Guide
- Dementia and Memory Loss
- Cooking, Eating and Drinking Resource Guide Cooking Eating and Drinking Resource Guide
- Caring for a person with advanced and terminal illness. Pallative Caring at Home WA Edition
- Car Parks Made Easy: A guide to providing accessible car parking facilities. This brochure gives an overview of how to make your car park accessible and safe for customers who have a disability. Car Parks Made Easy
- GuestAbility – making accommodation accessible for touristsGuestAbility
- A Guide to More Accessible Sexuality-Related Assistive Technology The MA+ Guide
- Information and advice and personal stories told by Aboriginal carers on DVD “ We want to look after our own” (Contact the ILC for a copy)
- A West Australian access guide for people with disability and seniors. Access WA Website